Saturday, February 13, 2010

House fires and pets

HOUSE FIRES AND PETS: You wonder how these two topics are related? The last 2 years there have been two house fires in the Whitewater area where the pet owners have tried to keep their pets warm (January in Wisconsin) by using a HEAT LAMP. In both cases MAJOR fires developed, one a TOTAL loss and the other major damage. One fire was caused by a heat lamp on an "ouside porch" and the other fire caused by a heat lamp put in a wood box on the house's deck. A few years ago another fire was caused by a heat lamp put into a dog house that was built onto the garage. That fire also totally destroyed the house.

The moral of the story: Any attempt to create supplemental heat during the winter needs to be treated with caution. Examples of heat lamps, space heaters, and wood burning stoves have all proved very dangereous when used improperly or left unattended.

Don't let this happen to you and your family.
Ron Binning
Binning & Dickens Insurance
Whitewater WI 53190

No comments: